Tuesday, April 04, 2006

All that have gone ... May they R.I.P

Mac 30 2006 (Thursday). My husband's grandmother (father's side) passed away at the Malacca hospital. She was 75. The last time we saw her was about one and a half month ago. She had not been really sick, except for the occasional rise in her blood sugar level. I guess, her time just
came.
April 1 2006. It's been two years since my grandmother (my father's side) left us. She was 72. It happened on a Friday's night, at a mosque, after Isyak's prayer. Subhanallah. Time really flies. Sometimes, I still feel her presence. I really miss her.
Am not sure when I actually 'came across' deaths. Maybe when I was five or six. I remember vaguely seeing my grandma's sister spooning her stepdaughter porridge. She had been sick for quite sometimes. And that night we were gathering at grandma sister's house. I must have felt asleep for one or two hours, when I woke up grandma said she had passed away.
The one I remember the most is when I was seven. I was on the way back from school when I saw a 'black maria' (a police truck) near my house. My auntie came out and rerouted me to my cousin's house. She told me grandma's brother had passed away, but did not allow me to see his body. But why the police truck? Later I was told that grandma's brother had shot himself in the head with a shortgun. He had been sick, or rather, not himself or insane.
When I was eight, my mother gave birth to a baby girl at her mother's house. What a lovely little thing, but God loved her more. She died while in the delivery process. She was delivered breech. She was so pretty and not puplish blue like some newborns. She was big too, maybe almost 4kg. That explains why I gave birth to big-sized babies. Big size runs in the family!
After that, some cousins and relatives were called to see God.
I was 14 when my auntie (mother's sister) passed away after about two weeks giving birth to a baby boy. She fell in the bathroom and died on the spot. The real cause not known. Two weeks after that the baby boy also died. It must be difficult for him to survive without a mother. And a couple of months later, her husband followed, due to cancer. That made my eight cousins yatim piatu. My grandma (my mother's mother) took them in.
In 1985, my great grandmother (father's side) passed away. She was 100 something. During my higher school, three of my male yatim piatu teenage cousins died, all due to cancer or kind of it. It seems they got the cancer from their late father.
Dec 21 1989, this also remain in memory forever. My brother, 16, involved in an accident and succumbed to his injury after about 24 hours in hospital. That month was a really gloomy December, what with the monsoon season. I still remember the dark yellow sky that appeared on that day. So dark yellow, it was strange. Or at least, that was how I felt at that time.
1994, my best friend passed away. The cause - heart cancer, which she only knew about only one month before she died. We were in third year of our varsity study. She was briliant and a top score student.
1997, another great grandmother (father's side) passed away. She was also almost 100. My late beloved grandma looked after both her mother and mother-in-law until their last time.
to be continued ...

No comments: