Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Indonesia menangis lagi

The tsunami hit Indonesia again, claiming 300 lives so far. Hundreds others are still missing. And Indonesia menangis lagi. Going through the pictures, I can not help but wonder why disasters seem to always be happening on Indonesia's land, one after another. Why God let them happen to Indonesians? How're they going to go forward if disasters hit them like any other day? They don't even have time to re-build their homes before the next disaster comes. Maybe Indonesians are super-strong, hardened by the tests of life. But an outsider like me can not help but still feel pity for those who lost their loved ones, especially the children. I can't dream how difficult their life is, let alone to share. But I can feel and see the sadness, the suffering. Every time I look at it, I feel hopeless and angry with myself as I can't do anything to lessen their sufferings. If only I was rich, I would have a lot to donate. Often, when I go back, their tears and sadness, the innocent and peaceful look on the dead children, the confused faces of the survived ones, their frantic look while searching for their loved ones, the disappointment upon finding they were dead and many other emotional elements would remain in my head until some times. Maybe the only thing which made me feel better was to be nice to my Indonesian neighbours. But then they are no more there, having moved out couple of months ago.
I pray God gives them more strength to continue their life and ends their suffering soon.

No comments: